Wednesday, January 4, 2012

this year's love



I called my gym (which has odd hours sometimes) to make sure they were open on Monday.  'Oh, we're open,' the woman said, 'all the gyms are open today. And packed.'

Right. New Year's. Every year around this time, the number of people in my gym triples for three weeks before it inevitably goes back to normal, and by normal I mean 'works out in jeans guy', 'stinky hipster guy', 'sings along loudly to his headphones guy' and all of my other favorite weirdos. It depresses me not because I mind sharing treadmill space with these resolution-havers but because I know that not many of them are going to make it. It a vivid reminder of how difficult it is to make a real change in your life.

New Year's is an especially bad time to resolve to change your habits. Who on earth is motivated in the dead of winter? Bright shiny calendar year or no, this time of year all I want to do is sit on my couch watching Happy Endings and eating pie.

It's also true that none of the big-ish things I accomplished this year--self-publishing my novel, getting fit (and losing fifteen pounds), confessing long-held, unsaid feelings--had anything to do with New Year's resolutions. I did these things because I was genuinely, deeply compelled to do them, and that just doesn't come from the turning of a calendar page. 

So, best of luck 'I'm going to take out all of my feelings on this elliptical' lady--you're going to need it.

What did you accomplish in 2011 that you're proud of?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea--your accomplishments aren't "big-ish," they're bad-ass! Good for you!!! Those are all a huge deal as far as lil ole me is concerned!

    Things I'm most proud of in 2011:
    1. Getting 2 articles published in Fresh Home magazine
    2. Writing the first 35 pages of my memoir (it's a start!) and
    3. Running my 4th half marathon in my fastest time ever (2:05). . . then signing up for my 5th half marathon this February so I can beat that time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i finished my first draft of my memoir. i stood on stage and read excerpts from my memoir. twice. and brought the house down. very happy.

    p.s. my gym decided to do renovations at the beginning of the year so there is one shower stall available. it was already ridiculous with 6 stalls... smart planning.

    happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Heather and Simone! And congratulations on your impressive accomplishments in 2011.

    ReplyDelete